Saturday, November 2, 2013

Getting the arduino Yun ready to receive and read google mails - part3

I changed to users homedir to reside on the micro-SD card. In /etc/passwd, just add /mnt/sda1/arduino/ in front of the existing path for the self-created users. Obviously also move the existing user dirs to that location.

A bit later I discovered that there isn't good support for running sketches as non-root on the Yun yet.
Furthermore to be able to have user owned directories on the SD card, the SD card should be formatted in Linux format. For now I am giving up on running Yafa as a normal user. I'll do things as root for now.

However I want to avoid fetchmail writing in the /root folder, so I want all my fetchmail stuff to reside on the SD card. Because the .fetchmailrc needs specific permissions, I need to format the SD card in linux format anyway:

opkg update
opkg install e2fsprogs
opkg install mount-utils
umount /dev/sda1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

I didn't succeed in mounting it again. A reboot of the Yun took care of that.

cd /dev/sda1
mkdir arduino
cd arduino
mkdir fetchmail
cd fetchmail
touch fetchmail.log
touch fetchmailrc
chmod 600 fetchmailrc

In fetchtmailrc I have put:

set idfile /mnt/sda1/arduino/fetchmail/fetchids
#set logfile /mnt/sda1/arduino/fetchmail/fetchmail.log
set pidfile /mnt/sda1/arduino/fetchmail/fetchmail.pid
poll pop.gmail.com
proto pop3
user "me@yafasomething.com"
password "mypassword"    
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
ssl
sslcertck

I could run fetchmail with the -f option, but it is easier to set an environment variable, which will also make sure the SD card is used (could probably remove the first lines from fetchmailrc)
add to /etc/profile the following line (and execute it or log in again):



export FETCHMAILHOME="/mnt/sda1/arduino/fetchmail/"

Note that when running fetchmail with the 2nd line not commented out, the messages do not come on the screen anymore, but come in the log-file. For now I want them to come to standard out.

No comments:

Post a Comment