Saturday, May 24, 2014

Upgrade Yun with new image (OpenWrt-Yun 1.0)

There is a new image for the Yun with important fixes, and better link to OpenWrt.
More info and detailed installation guidelines can be found on http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=235360.msg1693350#msg1693350 Before doing the procedure I saved the installed packages to a file:
opkg list-installed
Next I formatted my SD card(not needed, but I want a clean start). First I did this on my Ubuntu PC but this gave issues with user groups and permissions. So I did the formatting on my Yun directly:
df
umount /mnt/sda1
mkfs.ext4 -L YunSD /dev/sda1
note the /dev/sda1 iso /mnt/sda1 for the mkfs command.
mkdir /mnt/sda1/arduino

Next, extract the zip file for the update into the root folder of the SD card.

ssh to the Yun and execute:
run-sysupgrade /mnt/sda1/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-yun-16M-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
result is (nothing needs to be done when it looks like there is a prompt with the Writing from ...:
Sending TERM to remaining processes ... uhttpd dbus-daemon dnsmasq thd ntpd uSDaemon sftp-server sleep syslogd klogd hotplug2 procd ubusd netifd 
Sending KILL to remaining processes ... 
Switching to ramdisk...
Performing system upgrade...
Unlocking firmware ...

Writing from  to firmware ...     
Upgrade completed
Rebooting system...
Rebooting didnt seem to happen automatically. Power cycled and after a while I saw the USB led on, a sign of the new image. The Yun is completely fresh, so you need to start all over, connecting to the Yun wireless network, enter default password arduino, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment